Volunteering at NAYA Family Center
Service, support, community
No person among us desires any other reward for performing a brave and worthy action, but the consciousness of having served his nation.
—Joseph Brant (Thayendanegea), Mohawk
Volunteers play an important role in NAYA Family Center's success! We simply couldn't function without the support of our volunteers who have dedicated thousands of hours of service over the past few years. Volunteering with us provides an opportunity to:
- connect with the Portland metro area's Native American community.
- gain a variety of transferable skills.
- do what you love.
All volunteers are required to complete a volunteer application and submit to a criminal background check.
We are currently looking for the following:
- Tutors: Help students complete their homework and school related projects by becoming a tutor in our Learning Center. Monday-Thursday, 3pm-6pm.
- Administrative Assistants: Volunteer in our front office, Early College Academy office and other staff departments assisting NAYA staff in clerical and administrative tasks. Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm.
- Kitchen Crew Members: Help NAYA's kitchen staff prepare and serve food to students, staff and community members. Monday-Friday, breakfast and lunch.
- Evening Programming Assistants: Volunteers help greet guests to their programs and assist with activities. Programs include Culture Night, Foster Parent Support Night and more. Monday-Friday, after 4 pm.
- Tax Prep Assistants: Each tax season NAYA Family Center provides a free tax site for community members. Volunteers earn certification and help community members files taxes. February 1st-April 15th.
- Sports Coaches: Help coach our youth sports teams practices and games throughout the year. Sports programs include volleyball, basketball, soccer and lacrosse.
- Clothing Closet Organizer: NAYA needs volunteers to help keep our growing clothing closet organized and stocked with seasonal clothing throughout the year. Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm.
- ASPIRE College Mentors: NAYA is looking for College Mentors to provide one-on-one advising to help our ECA students continue their education beyond high school. Every Tuesday and Thursday, 3:30 - 7 p.m.
- Child Care Assistants: Many of our programs have child care needs and not enough staff on hand. Volunteers assist in leading activities, coordinating games, crafts and homework help. Days and times vary depending on program.